Sunday, November 1, 2009

Friends in Many Places - Short Children's Story

"What would it be like to have friends in many places?" The Monkey said out loud.

"You do Monkey," said the Caterpillar on the leaf next to Monkey.

Monkey was startled. He didn't think anyone had heard him.

"Then why am I so lonely Caterpillar?" asked Monkey.

"Let me help you find your friends," said Caterpillar.

And so Monkey and Caterpillar set off to find Monkey's friends.

They stopped first at a pond of water.

"Look, over there," said Caterpillar to Monkey, "There is Frog."

"Frog, are you Monkey's friend?" Caterpillar asked.

"Why of course Caterpillar," said Frog, "Monkey helped me find food when I was hungry."

"See Monkey. Frog is your friend," said Caterpillar.

Monkey smiled.

Then, they walked over to a grove of trees.

"Look, up there," said Caterpillar to Monkey, "There is Bird."

"Bird, are you Monkey's friend?" Caterpillar asked.

"I am most certainly Monkey's friend," said Bird, "He helped me build my home."

"See Monkey. Bird is your friend," said Caterpillar.

Monkey smiled again.

They continued their walk and came to a big field.

"There is Lion," said Caterpillar to Monkey.

"Lion, are you Monkey's friend?" asked Caterpillar.

"Yes, indeed I am Monkey's friend," said Lion. "He scratches my back in places I can not reach."

"Lion is your friend Monkey," Caterpillar said with a smile.

"Thank you Caterpillar for helping me see how many friends I have," said Monkey smiling back.

"Your friends will always remember the service you give them. Remember to call upon them when you are lonely," said Caterpillar.

And so Monkey walked back home with Caterpillar, Frog, Bird and Lion at his side.

4 comments:

smithtrek said...

Cute story Tianna!

Tianna said...

Thank you! I may change a couple little things, but I'm debating having someone illustrate it (maybe my hubby if I can convince him).

Ritsumei said...

This is probably the story that I'm supposed to read. Sorry. It's cute.

Tianna said...

Actually, this is one that just came to the top of my head one day (I think I may have told you about it though before I posted it). The one I emailed you is different. It's much longer, not complete, and not really intended for children.