Service is such a vital part to growing as an individual, family and as friends and neighbors. Many times, that service comes in the form of help in one way or another. My sister-in-law reminded me some months ago that accepting or asking for help is vital to being healthy. We are not meant to do things all on our own. If that were the case, this world would be a very dreary place. Everyone only thinking of themselves and never of those around them. This is exactly what I find myself doing if I do not actively engage in helping someone. Even if that someone is just my son. The song, "Have I Done Any Good" comes to mind. It goes:
1. Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?
Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love.
2. There are chances for work all around just now,
Opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying, “Sometime I’ll try,”
But go and do something today.
’Tis noble of man to work and to give;
Love’s labor has merit alone.
Only he who does something helps others to live.
To God each good work will be known.
Thankfully I have wonderful people in my life who can sense if something is awry and offer their minds, hands and hearts in service toward me. I'm getting better at accepting their offers. Maybe someday it won't be so hard for me ask for their help, or accept it when given to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment