Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Have you thought about your thoughts?

I am currently reading a book titled, Change Your Brain, Change Your Life by Daniel G. Amen M.D. The book is chalked full of fascinating facts about how the brain works, what happens when your brain isn't working correctly, and ways to help correct any problems your brain may have. One particular paragraph made a whole lot of sense to me:

"Healing the deep limbic system (a part near the middle of your brain, about the size of a walnut) requires healing moment-to-moment thought patterns. Unfortunately, there is no formal place where we are taught to think much about our thoughts or to challenge the notions that go through our head, even thought our thoughts are always with us. Most people do not understand how important thoughts are and leave the development of thought patterns to chance. Did you know that every thought you have sends electrical signals throughout your brain? Thoughts have actual physical properties. They are real! They have significant influence on every cell in your body. When your mind is burdened with many negative thoughts, it affects your deep limbic system and cause deep limbic problems (irritability, moodiness, depression, ect.). Teaching yourself to control and direct thoughts in a positive way is one of the most effective ways to feel better."

Who'd have thought! It makes sense to me, but I've never thought of 'my thoughts' in that light before. Reading this book has helped me challenge those often, not so pleasant, thoughts that come into my head. Dr. Amen gives 8 steps to help kill the A.N.T.s (Automatic Negative Thoughts). Something that I've begun doing to help keep myself more positive. Although, it does take practice thinking, "Ok, this thought may not be correct or telling me the truth. How do I challenge this thought so that I can think more positively?" Hopefully over time it'll become more natural. I don't like being miserable because of the things that go through my head.

Here is the video that introduced me to Dr. Daniel Amen:





No comments: