Tuesday, July 19, 2011

How do I possess Charity?

Elder Bruce D. Porter said in his June, 2011 Ensign article "Defending the Family in a Troubled World":

"Certainly it is good to be tolerant of those who are different than we are, treating them with kindness and civility. But love, or charity, is the highest of all, and it is far better to genuinely love those with whom we differ."

It can be hard for me, at times, to find that genuine love for those with whom I differ. So much so that I seem to give up on it all together. I desire to love, to possess Charity, but my heart and mind can seem to be at odds with one another.

In 2 Nephi chapter 26 verse 30 it says:
"...wherefore, the Lord God hath given a commandment that all men should have charity, which charity is love."

Having charity is a commandment. When I first read this scripture a couple months ago, I realized that I did not know that God commanded us to have charity. If it is a commandment, it must be obtainable. So, how do I obtain it? How do I make it a part of my character and possess the essence of what it is to be charitable?

The prophet Moroni clarified how to obtain it. He said in Moroni 7:48:

"...pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ..."

The Addiction Recovery Program through LDS Family Services elaborates about the scripture from Moroni in their lesson 8. It says:

"Charity is a gift we receive as we learn to follow Jesus Christ and as we love Him with all our hearts, minds, and souls. Filled with this pure love from Him and for Him, we find ourselves able to love others as He has loved us. We become able to forgive the faults of others and to make amends for our mistakes."

Charity, which is the pure love of Christ, is a gift. A most precious gift. Along with praying to God for the gift of charity, what are other things I can do to keep myself focused on charity?

Elder William R. Bradford said in his November, 1987 address "Selfless Service":

"Selflessness is righteousness. It embraces the true spirit of companionship. It is the very essence of friendship. It is the portrayer of true love and oneness in humanity. Its reward is the freeing of the soul, a nearness to divinity, a worthiness for the companionship of the Spirit. Every requirement that God’s plan for our salvation places upon us is based on the giving of one’s self.

The only way under the heavens whereby a person can be sanctified is in selfless service."

Selfless service seems to me to be a wonderful way to focus on obtaining the pure love of Christ. Selfishness can not exist, when I am searching and acting on ways to bless my family, friends and others around me through selfless service. Sometimes this act comes in the form of simply keeping my house clean and organized, or of putting the needs of my son and husband above my own personal pursuits. I am grateful for the opportunities I have to strive to possess Charity through prayer, study and service.

2 comments:

Ritsumei said...

Charity's a good one. I should go back and work on studying that some more, thanks for the reminder. Funny how charity can be the greatest blessing right at home, but that is often the place where it's most difficult to do it. I know I need more practice!

Tianna said...

It has been very enlightening to study it more in depth lately. It applies to so many things!