Wednesday, May 27, 2009
The Beauty of Womenhood
We, as women, have the power to create. Not only to bring new life into this world, but to bring about smiles, laughter and wonderful memories that our loved ones and friends can share in together. We can create positive atmospheres and cheery dispositions in ourselves. But, how do I create an aptitude for some of these things when they do not come naturally to me?
Many times I have thought, "What talents do I have?" or "Do I have any talents at all?". Now sure, I can shoot a basketball, kick a soccer ball, or throw a punch, but what about those other things? Those "womanly" things?
Cooking, well, lets just say that my husband enjoyed (or rather threw out) a wonderful helping of lemon pepper mac & cheese a few months into our marriage; and on another occasion, I very badly burnt the chicken that we and our company were supposed to have for dinner (we ended up ordering pizza). My sewing skills are comparable to my cooking and my cleaning skills are getting better as I now have time to devote to it. Professionally, I'm great at organizing, but my home ends up in disarray all to often because many times it's hard for me to manage my time effectively. So, recently I was asking myself why it's important to have and develop these skills. I'm not saying that every mother needs to be a master seamstress or chef, but I am discovering that there is a value in keeping a clean and orderly home. One that can truly be considered a shelter from the storms of life.
My personal faith is that the home should be as a Temple of God. President Boyd K. Packer, a member of the quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was quoted in a recent LDS conference saying,
"Temple. One other word is equal in importance to a Latter-day Saint. Home. Put the words holy temple and home together, and you have described the house of the Lord!"
Other than a clean and orderly home, what other characteristics should be present? What kind of home would be best for the child that will soon join my husband and I? In my quest for an answer, I read an article by Elder Douglas L. Callister titled Our Refined Heavenly Home from the June, 2009 Ensign magazine (which is not yet posted online). Elder Callister spoke of having refined language, good literature, an appreciation and love for good music and art and a care for our personal appearance and attitude.
He wrote of music,
"Some events in life are so sublime that they cannot be imagined without the companionship of beautiful music."
His article reminded me of the 13th Article of Faith of my religion:
"aWe believe in being bhonest, true, cchaste, dbenevolent, virtuous, and in doing egood to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we fhope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to gendure all things. If there is anything hvirtuous, ilovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."
Francis Bacon (1561-1626) said the following about studies and books:
"Crafty men contemn studies, simple men admire them, and wise men use them;.....
Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider......"
As I read these things, it was impressed upon my mind that what greater a gift then to be given the chance to change the future through our children! To teach them and guide them on this very confusing journey of life. I am beginning to ponder this role I am charged with, and am starting to grasp the gravity of it. If I can incorporate an orderly home, full of positive language, uplifting music, good literature and beautiful art then I should be set.
How am I going to accomplish this? Only through hope, faith and the grace of God to help me. When my children and running around destroying the "clean house" I'm trying to create, the most uplifting music I hear is the screaming of a baby, and the most beautiful art in the house is the permanent marker on the wall, it will be those moments I will try to remember that it will pass, that I love my family...and that it's probably time to take a moment and remember the beauty of being a woman.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey, I love the new look. So when can you guys come over? The elders are coming Friday for lunch. How about then?
Post a Comment