Robert pretty much weaned himself! Yep...I wasn't expecting that. Around the middle of December, he began to have little interest in nursing. He had started walking along things, crawling and overall just moving a lot more, and his interest in staying put to nurse fell drastically. Within a couple of weeks he went from nursing 7-10 times in a 24 hour period, to 3-4 times in a 24 hour period. Boy did that hurt! During Christmas week I was engorged and very uncomfortable. Perfect timing right!
Around the middle of January he dropped further to nursing 1-3 times a day. By the first week in February, he was down to nursing once every couple of days. I wasn't anticipating him being ready to stop before I was. At least it was easy for him. I didn't have to worry about him getting fussy over my wanting to stop. I on the other hand had a few moments of sadness, and even one moment of tears over his declining interest.
It has all worked out in the end. On February 17th, I found out that we were expecting again. Another sweet little child will be joining our family! I decided at that point that I was going to wean RJ completely. His last day to nurse was February 20th. He had a little over 14 months of the Good Stuff. He was only nursing every few days, which helped in my decision. I know I could have continued nursing, but I also knew that with the rise in hormones, would come the sore breasts again, and that was something I didn't want to work through. Since then, he has asked to nurse a few times (I taught him sign language so he could let me know when he wanted to), but he's been good about my turning him down.
I am so excited to begin the process with a new little one in October. The break is nice, but I miss the closeness.
2 comments:
Sorry he is sick. Keep us in mind for next time. We are happy to help.
I will keep you in mind for sure!
Post a Comment